Reporting Special Pay

Table of Contents

What is Special Pay?

Special pay, sometimes called separating pay, is any money paid to a separated employee after a separation has occurred. For example, a claimant may have received a severance package or had been paid out vacation pay that was earned but never used. Depending on the type of pay and the state the claimant filed for benefits in, the claimant’s receipt of special pay may result in a temporary disqualification.

There are a number of reasons why you should be diligent in providing special pay information when it is available. Not reporting special pay could:

  1. Impact the claimant’s benefits
  2. Impact charges against your unemployment account

What is Needed to Report Special Pay?

There are several pieces of information that are required when reporting special pay.

  1. Type of Special Pay
  2. Date of Payment
  3. Allocation Dates (if applicable)
  4. Days of Pay
  5. Hours of Pay

If special pay was allocated, both the beginning and ending dates must be provided. In states where allocated pay is disqualifying, not having the beginning and ending dates could cause the state to not consider your special pay protest.

Reporting Special Pay

501 Alliance members can easily report special pay on the request for information that is sent to you. If you use CaseBuilder, you will be given the opportunity to report special pay right inside of the application. When adding special pay details, you can choose as many different types of pay as you need for each case.

Share This Post

Related News